Monday, September 22, 2008

Oktoberfest

I am in Munich, Germany this week on business. We scheduled these negotiations a few weeks ago. When I went to book my hotel, I could not get into my prefered hotel – the Hilton City Center. That was odd. Because of my Hilton status, I can almost always get in at the Hilton I prefer. We called another Hilton in Munich and got in, but it had a 21 day prior cancellation policy. Therefore, once I booked it, I was locked in (it was already mid-September). I thought that was odd but I was happy to get in to a Hilton. Little did I know that I should have been happy to get a hotel room at all.

Three days ago I was having a drink with another client in Helsinki, Finland. He reminded me that Oktoberfest was going on in Munich!! (Misty, I promise, this was NOT planned.)

For all of you that thought Oktoberfest was in October – you are only partially right. The bulk of the Oktoberfest celebration is in September with only a portion spilling over into October. Oktoberfest starts 15 days prior to the first Sunday in October (unless the first Sunday is the 1st or 2nd, then it goes until the 3rd). This year the celebration began on September 20th and ends on October 5th. Oktoberfest is really a late September celebration.

I won’t recount all the history of Oktoberfest, but I will say that the first Oktoberfest was in October, 1810. The 16 day celebration in Munich, Germany attracts 6 million people (that’s right 6 million) every year. It is a crazy celebration. Imagine the world largest state fair – that is Oktoberfest. Not only is it a beer drinking extravaganza but all the other fair like festivities are at Oktoberfest (food, rides, vendors, etc).

Oktoberfest is a Munich, Germany celebration. Over the years other cities around the world have adopted Oktoberfest – but it is only really in Munich. (For all of you that though Oktoberfest was a celebration in Addison, Texas or Westport in Kansas City, Missouri - sorry guys, that is not Oktoberfest)

I am currently working on getting a seat in one of the festival halls later this week. Jones Day has a table but they are in very high demand. I am hopeful that the Partner in Charge of the Munich office of Jones Day can come through for me and my client. Regardless, I am going. I will post pictures.

No comments: