Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Valuable Things

This morning I was looking at a box in our bedroom that is waiting to go up into the attic. This is one of several boxes that Misty recently brought back from her Mom's house. These boxes have various content - books, cups, old school projects, keepsakes, a small stamp collection - really just a bunch of junk that is only worth keeping because it is small things that were once important to Misty. It is funny what is considered important to us at one point in time and then irrelevant later (sometimes just a few days later). For example, the first day one of my kids get a cool new toy from McDonald's - they treasure it like it is the most valuable thing in the world. One week later, I can find it outside on the ground. There is a lesson in that somewhere. Certainly the value we place in things is fleeting.

For me, one of these boxes is special.

For those of you who do not know, Misty and I grew up together in a small town in Missouri (Windsor). We were "dating" from the 6th grade until we got married in college (with a couple dramatic breakups in junior high). We have, literally, grew up together. Like most high school couples, we would buy each other small things on Valentines Day and other important occasions. At times, I put some serious thought and effort into what stuffed animal, card, candy or other trinket I was going to get Misty. This small token needed to represent how much I loved her and it always seemed that nothing was good enough.

One of the boxes that Misty brought home from her Mom's house was a box labeled "Stuff from Shawn." Inside was a number of the items I bought for Misty when we were very young - junior high through early high school. This box had an empty chocolate box, stuffed animals, cards and other such items. She had saved these items only because I gave them to her. These things are, obviously, worthless. But were an embodiment of my affection for her and, years ago, were important enough for her to keep.

Now I think this box of stuff is more important to me. This box of trivial items represents my love for Misty. The fact that she kept these items shows me that, all those years ago, she cared enough about me to import real value and meaning to these items simply because I gave them to her. This box is a reminder to me of the lasting relationship I enjoy with the women I love.


Yesterday was our wedding anniversary. I did not get Misty anything. No flowers, no card, no candy - nothing. In fact, I actually forgot until I was driving home and Misty mentioned that it was May 20th. Misty did not get me anything either. I think we both kind of forgot.
I am not sure why I forgot. The fact that I forgot our anniversary does not mean that I care less for her now than I did in high school. It also does not mean I take Misty for granted. I love her more than ever. However, I think it does reflect the fact that I am so busy that I often forget to take the time to do the little things that show her I love her. This box reminds me that I should take that time. Because, while she knows, she deserves to be reminded that she is, and always has been, the most valuable thing in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and nothing says i love you more then a blue box... :) and a weekend away to sleep, i'll be your sitter!