Sunday, August 19, 2007

German View

Yesterday when I was in downtown Munich I was talking to the checkout clerk at a book store. She was a well dressed, 25 years old who spoke fairly limited English. I was trying to purchase a German children's book for T and Sky (even through it is in German and we won't be able to read it) and was going to pay with my American Express card. She said they only take cash. Jokingly I said I had American dollars? She laughed and said she wishes that they could still take the German Deutsche Mark. She said the Mark was one of the few things their country was proud of. I must have had an odd look on my face because she then followed up with a most amazing statement. She said, "Unlike Americans, we Germans hate our country. We are not proud of who we are." She was serious and I found it to be a striking statement from an otherwise cheerful young girl. For a country with such a strong history, heritage and current economic and cultural prowess, this was a very telling statement. Clearly the Germany of World War II and the acts of Hitler still weigh heavy on this country.

I hope someday they can be proud of their great country.

No comments: